Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Communication Between Student and Teacher: I Need Help!

Help Notification

While at the Mobile Makers teacher training academy, I was re-introduced to a method for students to communicate with teachers.  They suggested the use of three colored indicators: green, yellow, and red.  The idea is that students can work independently on a project.  If the student gets stuck and cannot continue without help, they display the red indicator.  This lets the teacher know they need to give the student attention soon.  If a student dispays the yellow indicator, this communicates that the student needs help or has a question but can still continue with their program for a while.  If a student displays the green indicator, this communicates that the student is finished.  Students who complete a task and display the green indicator can then go assist other students who display a red or yellow indicator.

As far as the indicators go, in class we've been using foam balls (think red and green clown noses) that can be hooked on to the edge of a computer monitor.  The instructor, Brian Mathien, shared with us that he uses different colored clips that the students can hook on the edge of their computers.  I have heard of this technique while at another education conference and the students displayed different colored cards.

I think this is a great technique and I plan to use it in my programming class.  I would also like to use this in my math classes.  I see it as a great way for the students to give feedback about their current level of understanding.  It also allows the teacher to focus more attention where it is most needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment