Saturday, November 2, 2013

Math Review Activity Using "Explain Everything"

This week my Honors Geometry class was busy preparing for our Unit 4 Summative Assessment on the Properties of Parallel Lines.  Before each test, I give my students a practice test to help them prepare for the real thing.  Since all students at Waukesha North have iPads this year, I thought we could incorporate the "Explain Everything" app into this practice test review activity.  I told my students that they would use "Explain Everything" to create a 1-2 minute video that explains, step-by-step, how to do a math problem.  The videos would then be uploaded to a shared folder on Google Drive.

I first asked my students to pair up.  I then asked my students to choose a problem from our 16 question review assignment--they would become the class expert on that problem.  Allowing the students to choose their own problem builds in differentiation.  Students who have weaker skills can choose to become the expert on the less complex problems, while the students who excel can choose the more challenging ones.

Once the students had chosen their problem they began busily planning their video.  Students first worked out the problem together.  Groups then checked in with me to make sure that it was solved correctly.  Then they began their videos.  It was amazing to see how seriously the students took this assignment!  If they found the smallest flaw, they would start again and make corrections.  Here's an example of one of the videos created by students:



Once the students perfected their videos, they shared them with me and placed in the shared folder on Google Drive.  As students were completing their review assignments at home they could consult the videos and clear up any problems they were having.

Overall, I think this activity went pretty well.  As students become more familiar with the features of Explain Everything and the video sharing process, I think this process will become more efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment