Monday, December 2, 2013

Trihexaflexagon Fun!



As I was planning lessons for the week, I realized that we would end up with about 15 extra minutes in my Honors Geometry classes before Thanksgiving break.  I had just read about an activity on the blog Math=Love about how to create a trihexaflexagon and I thought it would be the perfect end to class as we started our Turkey Day break.

What is a trihexaflexagon? Basically, a triflexahexagon is a piece of paper that has three sides.  You can take a plain piece of paper (which has two sides) and fold it in a specific way to create a three-sided piece of paper.

I provided my students with a cut out template for their Trihexaflexagon.
My students then followed the tutorial instructions on how to label both sides of the template.  Then they folded the piece of paper and taped it up to create their trihexaflexagon: a three-sided piece of paper!

Once we folded the paper, we watched a short video on what we just created.  They were amazed!  What a great activity to do before break!




No comments:

Post a Comment