Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Geometric Vocabulary with TPR

In August I attended Waukesha's Personalized Summer Institute.  While at the summer institute I attended a class in Metalinguistics.  In this class I learned about TPR activities: Total Physical Response.  In these activities, students physically act out new vocabulary in order to improve recall and comprehension.  As I started to think about how I could use this type of activity in my math classroom I immediately thought of the basic vocabulary that I need to teach my Geometry students at the beginning of the year.  I came up with a series of movements that would help my students better understand basic Geometric terms and labeling conventions.  I created actions to go along with terms such as Point, Line, Plane, Collinear Points, Ray, different ways to classify angles, as well as a few others.  You can check out some of the symbols in my TPR presentation that I have posted online:



I wasn't sure how my students would respond to this activity, but they seem to enjoy it.  I have lead my classes through the TPR activity several times and have even had a few students volunteer to lead to the group.  It is my hope that this activity will increase student understanding of our basic Geometric concepts when we take our first summative assessment.



2 comments: