Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Similarity in Right Triangles Station Maze

Some of my colleagues have used station mazes in their classrooms to get students moving and to have them explore problem-solving activities.  My students needed some additional practice with similarity in right triangles, so I decided to try this out.

I created 15 problems related to this concept and listed four multiple-choice answers.  Based on the answer, students were then directed to a new station.  If the students were doing their math correctly, they should have visited five stations and then returned to their original starting point.


Within the stations, I embedded two paths with multiple entry points. I created a "yellow" path and a "pink" path.  Students could start at any point of the path and it would form a complete cycle.  Other distractor questions were thrown in to turn this activity into more of a problem-solving activity.












I tried this with two of my Honors Geometry classes and it went pretty well.  My students were having good conversations about math and were really trying to complete their paths.  Students were asking well-thought-out questions when they got stuck.  Instead of focusing on the answer, most of my students seemed to be focused on the problem solving behind it.  One of my students even asked if we could do it again!  Overall I think it went pretty well, but it was kind of time-consuming to create this.  I think with some additional practice, it will become faster to create.

You can view my entire maze station activity here.

No comments:

Post a Comment