Friday, April 28, 2017

Flash Cards Turned into a Game

I had my students try something a little different in preparation for our unit summative assessment on similarity.  At the end of each class period, I had students work in groups to write two problems based on the knowledge learned during the class period on the front of a notecard.  On the back of the notecard, students showed their work for how they solved their own problem.

At the end of the unit, I took the questions written by each group (and added a few more questions that I wrote) and turned it into a game.  I found a game board on Google Images that I modified and printed out on large paper, gave each student a token and provided dice for the group.  Students then played the game with their own questions.  If a group ran out of questions, I had them swap "question packs" with another group to continue.


Overall, the students really seemed to enjoy this activity and were very engaged in the activity.  Allowing students to write their own questions for this game caused them to be more engaged in thinking about the different types of problems we encountered throughout the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment