Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Geometry: Geoboard

I have been checking out the app store for some apps that I could incorporate into my Geometry classroom.  I came across an app called "Geoboard".  Basically this is an app to replace the pegboard and rubber band set manipulative.

I found this app and played with it a little bit, but I have not done much more with it.  Since the one-to-one rollout for students is coming soon, I have started to think about how the iPad and iPad apps could help enhance my instruction. I was reading a blog by Dan Meyer which talked about incorporating math games within the math classroom.  I am always looking for ways to give my students more hands on experiences, so I thought about the Geoboard app, and decided to look around for some ideas.

I found an article on math.about.com that talked about different ways to incorporate a Geoboard into the math classroom.  I found several good ideas that could lead to some higher order thinking questions.  I plan to incorporate some of the following ideas once the students are equipped with their iPads!


  1. Geoboards can be used to talk about different types of symmetry: line and rotational.
  2. Use the Geoboard app to have students "draw" different geometric figures.  Students can work on shape name recall (isosceles triangle, rhombus, etc).  This could also lead into a discussion about how students know their shape satisfies different property requirements.  For example, if a student draws a rhombus (as shown to the right) how can they be sure that the figure has four congruent sides.  This could lead into a discussion about proof, distance formula, and a variety of other higher level thinking topics.
  3. A Geoboard can also be used to aid discussions about perimeter and area.  You can have students "draw" a shape and calculate the area.  You can also have students extend their knowledge by asking them to "draw" a shape that has a specified area.  For example, "draw" a triangle that has an area of 3 square units.
  4. Geoboards can also be used to explore the concepts of similarity and congruence.

No comments:

Post a Comment